Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Basic Info

Hello everyone. I realized that I should put the basic information of what we are doing for those who need to catch up.
Our family is moving to Machakos, Kenya for the upcoming school year. Todd is going to be a "substitute" teacher at Scott Theological College for missionaries on furlough. He gets to teach English grammar, History and Theology of Missions, and Church History (with an emphasis on African church history) this fall. The classes will change in the spring. There is also a strong emphasis on mentoring students. All professors and students live on campus so we are looking forward to meeting new people and learning new things.
My main job is going to continue to be a mom and to raise our sons to be followers of Jesus Christ. Much of my time will be spent cooking from scratch. We won't have a washer or dryer, so it is expected that we hire "house help" to do laundry (wash it on a board and hang it up to dry) and maybe other things. Minimum wage is about $1/hour. I think money is done in shillings, but these are things that I will get some training on in New York (July 6-8).
We are going as full-support missionaries under Africa Inland Mission. The trip is estimated at about $38,000. Since we don't have that much money in savings, we are raising support. :) So many people have been so generous already. Our payment from the school is a partially furnished home. All "Western" professors raise support so that the costs can stay low for the students. African professors are paid, as they should be. Feel free to comment and ask questions. I will do my best to find answers.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for filling us in. I think this is just a great opportunity. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete