Friday, September 18, 2009

Pregnancy update

We made it safely to Nairobi and back. Yesterday was busy and good. The doctor's appointment went well. Both babies had great heartbeats and as I was assuming, I am growing well. I'm about 4 months along and measuring as if I'm about 5 months along. Dr. Patel was pleased and we are so thankful that everything seems to be progressing well.
After the appointment, we were able to meet with a woman named Jennifer who has been a missionary in Kenya for 25 years. For the past 10 years she has been volunteering as a doula, which is a birth coach or maternity support person. Jennifer was wonderful. She will help me with the cross cultural issues of having an Indian doctor and Kenyan nurses. She has worked with my doctor for a number of years and speaks very highly of him. His wife happens to be the anesthesiologist that will give me the epidural for the c-section that I will need. Jennifer said that Dr. Patel's wife is also a great doctor and that she herself would allow Dr/Mrs Patel be her anesthesiologist any day.
Jennifer had many great suggestions for us. We already need to start making calls and reservations for me and the boys to live in Nairobi closer to delivery time. We can always cancel a reservation, but we may not be able to get one if we try too late. I will also need to hire house help in Nairobi and possibly a nanny. Todd will continue working at the college and we are going to do what we can to help me carry the babies to term (latest c-section date would be February 18). Any and all prayers that I can safely carry these babies till February 18 are appreciated. Anytime in February would probably be fine, but the bigger and stronger that they can get before delivery will hopefully mean fewer complications for them after birth.
I must say that we are really excited to have twins. What an unexpected blessing!! We are sure that we can't imagine the work load or how little sleep we may get, but that is probably a blessing in disguise too. In a little more than a month, I will have another ultrasound and we hope to find out the genders of the babies.
Overall, we are doing well. We will continue to keep you updated. Love from the Hilkemanns.

4 comments:

  1. Hooray! It's all so exciting. I'm sure you've heard of it but Hampton House is in Westland and is a long-term guest house. Might be worth looking into as a possibility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good to hear you have a dr that you are happy with and someone to be your cheerleader (there). It looks as if the boys are trying to one up each other with the injuries. Take care and blessings. The Rettigs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! Such a blessing. Love to you all! The N&S De Kam Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am so glad to hear that you have such a seasoned sister in the Lord to advise and guide you through birthing in a foreign country. That is an answer to prayer.

    Do you have a hunch as to the gender(s) of the twins? My hunches were always wrong. My husband's were always exactly right.

    Angie Washington

    ReplyDelete