Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Time Flies

Hello everyone. I realized it might be time for an update. I have no more exciting chicken stories (yet)! It has been over a week since we updated people. That means we are well and busy with everyday things. The boys love playing outside and have a great amount of freedom (mostly a good thing). Todd's classes are going well. He works diligently to keep up with preparing 10 hours of lecture per week. Last week he also preached in chapel on Tuesday. I teased him about preaching his longest sermon ever because he was expected to preach for 45-50 minutes. He did a great job. I have started to feel better. Yesterday and today I have had bursts of energy that have been very productive. I'm attributing the energy to being fully into the second trimester and with having been at the new altitude for almost exactly 6 weeks. It takes about 6 weeks for peoples' blood to adjust to a higher altitude to provide additional oxygen for the body. I have only had one doctor's appointment for my pregnancy (the one where we found out we are expecting twins), but we hope to drive to Nairobi the end of next week to make sure all is well. I'm doing a great job growing, so we are not concerned at all.
I do have a story about the boys. On Sunday night, we had dinner at a Kenyan's home for the first time. It was very nice. The boys didn't complain about the stew, but ate well. The only glitches of the night were that Isaiah got a black eye and Nate split his chin open. We ate at our neighbor's home. Shadrack and Milka are the parents and Baraka and Nema are the children (Isaiah and Nate's best friends). Isaiah walked behind Nema exactly when she decided to stand up. Nema's head won and Isaiah's right eye lost that contest. He had a great time tipping his head down and telling us that he couldn't see out because of the lump. After the initial outburst, he got along great! At the very end of the night, Nate climbed up on the armrest of the chair that I was sitting in. He turned off the light and it was pitch black for everyone. As I turned to get Nate and to turn the light back on, I knocked Nate off the chair and we think he hit his chin on the armrest. It was beautifully split open. Quite deep too! Thankfully, I brought steri-strips and after washing it out, we closed it. I figure it was good for 2 stitches in the States. He will have the same scar as many little boys in the world. :)
Well Isaiah thinks I'm his personal jungle gym and the timer is going off, so it's time to go. Bye for now.

3 comments:

  1. Six weeks is a great milestone. I am so glad to hear you are doing well. I was thinking about you yesterday and was going to write a message to you if you didn't update.

    I hope the boys get better quickly!

    Praying for you.
    ~ Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear one of those hour-long sermons next year when you get back (that's what they'll be up to by then!). Glad the boys are healing well. Never a dull moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny, Todd, Isaiah, Nate and babies!
    It's Lori writing...how wonderful it is to read your blog and pray for you as I read!
    I just finished grading papers myself so it is easy to keep you in mind, Todd...and your students! I'm eager to know more of your experiences and about your students' lives.

    Jenny, I'm glad you are feeling better and that the boys are doing well beyond the weekends's injuries...maybe the chin thing will give Nate a distinguished cleft when he grows up! Seriously, I am glad it all turned out ok.

    All of you are in my prayers. It is nearly midnight Wed here...and you are probably just getting up as I hit the hay! I send big hugs and you will be in my prayers as I head off to sleep...we continue to pray for you in Church too! - Hugs for all...Lori

    ReplyDelete