Monday, August 10, 2009

Hello everyone!

This is my (Jenny's) first time on the internet since Thursday. What to say? Life is different here. We have had electricity more often then not. We have water, but we have to be very careful. Feel free to pray that there would be rain in Kenya (rain will increase the amount of electricity, food, and water for everyone).
Our boys are absolutely loving playing outside. They come in covered in red dust. They are enjoying new-found freedoms. Nate's coping mechanism for all the changes seems to be speech. He now talks to us (in English) and tries kiswahili words. It has been so much fun to start conversing with him. He also seems to be showing off a more introverted side. When he wants to be done playing with other kids, he wanders over to the sandbox and plays contentedly for 30-40 minutes. Isaiah on the other hand seems to be all extrovert. He is finding lots of children to play with and he is exercising leadership (sometimes bossy would describe it best). He continues to be curious and asks questions of everyone. We learn things through responses that he gets. He will know how everything works around here before we leave.
As for me, I'm doing pretty well. I'm tired often, but I had a good first doctor appointment here in Kenya and I like the doctor. Tomorrow my house helper starts. She will be a huge blessing. Our clothes will get washed and she will help with cleaning all the red dust inside the house. I will be doing the cooking. This afternoon/tonight it took me four hours to make dinner. (And this was an easy recipe for me in the States). I am learning by experience. I needed tomato sauce and made it from scratch. Did you know that a potato masher works very well to mash tomatoes? :)
Well, I'd better go. It's almost 10pm and I'm wilting. I'm so excited to "connect" with friends though. I hope you have a great day and maybe tomorrow I'll be able to see my email or facebook and start responding to people.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are doing wonderful, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so great hearing about the boys! I can't wait to hear Nate's take on life. :) Nice work on the potato masher...your resourcefulness will serve you well in Machakos. :)
    Love and prayers!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really miss you guys. Sara and I are managing to live without you around but only barely. I'm happy to hear that the boy's are coping with the move and that it's having some very positive effects on them. Maybe we should send logan over there with you to help get him talking. :)
    I'm betting mashing tomatoes with a potato masher was an interesting/messy experience? Are the tomatoes and food there different from here in the states? I bet there's lots of fresh produce. :)
    Sara and I are praying for you. I hope the house helper is a big help
    Your blog is great. I'm finding it fascinating.
    Love Nate & Sara De Kam
    nathan.dekam@wellsfargo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny - great to hear how you and the family are doing. You guys are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pray you and your house help work well together and can be a blessing to one another.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its so interesting and heart warming to hear about how you and the boys are doing...I haven't had the heart to walk by your house yet, except once and I should go introduce myself to your renters and bring them some goodies...
    Anyway, I had to chuckle about Isaiah getting answers and your finding out things from him...as an "old" mom, I can tell you that is likely to become a common occurence, but it also helps you get through stages!

    You are in my prayers, Todd for school and ministry and head of house stuff and you, my dear for energy and peace and joy in the journey. I am so proud of your brave resourcefulness. I send you a big hug!
    (I wonder if you kind of boiled tomoatoes whole if they would mush up, but a potato masher sounds quite ingenious...I have three ripe ones on my counter...maybe I'll try it tomorrow..
    Love, Lori W.

    ReplyDelete