Thursday, August 13, 2009

Musings About Rationing

We are without power again today. Something we are getting used to.

We have learned that this lack of power is intentional rationing. Various parts/regions of Kenya have power shut off during various parts of the week.

It makes me wonder... Who is making the decisions about which areas are rationed when? Is everyone - and I mean everyone - in Kenya subject to the same standard of rationing? For example, are those who live in poor areas like the Kiebera slum, or in rural areas in the north forced to endure a larger proportion of rationing than the rest of us? Do the wealthy and the well connected get their power rationed less? And how do we know? And if we knew it was going on what could we do about it anyway?

I reflect on this in light of what is happening with the debate in the American Health care system. There are no easy answers to these questions. Clearly it seems better if everyone would voluntarily ration their use of power in Kenya - and voluntarily ration their use of the Health Care system in the U.S. But pragmatically, will that happen unless it is forced upon us? Yet it is very uncomfortable to be in the position we are in, in Kenya, when we have no idea who the enforcer is, what the enforcer is thinking and why they are doing what, when, and to whom.

No answers just musings.

Lord bring the rain to Kenya. Lord bring righteous political leaders - servant leaders - to nations everywhere including the US and Kenya. Lord give us all the courage to be disciplined stewards of the valuable resources you give us.

2 comments:

  1. Such powerful musings. I would echo Ruby Slipper's Amen. Also, Todd, thank you for the prayer on this and for putting your musings to words.
    Today, I will be trying to put my own syllabi together (one is done in my head and the other is a pilot...called "America in the World" for my 11-12th graders. I want it to be seminar discussion topics on social justice issues, so your thoughts help me to raise my own questions and hopefully those of my students.

    Pray for me to be able to raise the questions, elevate morals and spur good discussion among my students.

    So, as I think of my own teaching, know I am following your days with great interest and you are much in my prayers,
    Love to all...Lori

    ReplyDelete