Sunday, August 23, 2009

"Work" starts tomorow

Believe it or not, we've spent all this time in Kenya and I haven't even "begun" work yet. In other words, classes start tomorrow. I'm teaching five days a week in addition to mentoring a yet to be determined number of ministry teams and individuals (up to five of each). It is new for any of the teachers to teach five days a week, but because Scott is switching from a term system to a semester system, the scheduling has been a real challenge.

It is also interesting because I have not yet received class rosters or even the number of students I will have in each class. I have to guess based on the "anticipated" number of students in each class. For example, we anticipate 47 4th year students in the BTh program. But not all of them will be able to pay their fees this year so that number might be less or might shrink throughout the semester. That means I should anticipate 47 students for my Church History class - but I may have less. No one can really tell me.

What is also interesting is the effect of the economy on enrollment. As I stated we have 47 4th years, but as of now we only have 7 1st years as part of the "anticipated" number. Amazing for a school that has been growing so steadily. I admire the Kenyan faculty and staff so much. Men and women who continue to labor just as hard as everyone else - with no guarantee there will even be enough money to cover salaries this year. Even with all of the extreme cuts the school has made they are operating this year on a $60,000 (USD) deficit budget. We are all living by faith that God will provide.

If you are so inclined to pray for the school's financial needs you can pray for Dr. Jacob Kibor - the principal (president) of Scott. He is traveling for the next month and a half to the US - in large part to try and raise support for the school to continue to operate this year. We pray that God will continue to provide for the amazing work going on here at Scott.

Finally, we've gotten an excellent connection to the internet thanks to the expertise of Nicholas (the I.T. guy on campus). We have been enjoying video conversations with family over Skype. When we have power the connection is wonderful. If any of you have Skype - or are interested in gettin Skype, we'd love to talk with you! Our user name is Jennifer.Rebecca.Hilkemann. Also, check out our newsletter to see our U.S. phone number that you can reach us on via Skype.

Much love to you all - may you have a blessed Lord's Day.

P.S. FYI: The days we are without power are (usually) Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday - but the power usually is back on by 6:30 PM, 10:30 PM Central Time.

3 comments:

  1. Hope your first day went well today, Todd! We're praying that you will be blessed by your work and that God will bless the students and staff through you.
    Lisa DeKam

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys write a very aptly named website--it is quite a saga, and you've only been there a month! We pray blessings upon your work, lives and witness there. Jenny, I understand your cooking experiences, although we're fortunate enough to have tomato paste to buy. It sure does take a long time to cook everythig from scratch though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Todd, I'm praying much for your teaching. As I write this, you will have two weeks under your belt. Its so interesting that some of what you experience I am too...I start teaching in one day and still don't know my enrollment...lots of budget worries here in MN schools too, as you know...I'm reminded of the old saying, "What if the Air Force had to have bake sales....you get the rest...maybe we would have money for textbooks and desks...I'm using card tables and chairs this year...we will see how long THAT lasts...all are in my prayers...Love, L.

    ReplyDelete